The current COVID-19 pandemic is obviously an incredibly devastating and stressful situation. Federal, state and local governments have been working diligently to enact legislation to address this crisis. But in the midst of this, we can all use a smile – and several states have taken a moment to give us one.
So those streetwise Alabama legislators have enacted legislation urging folks to fist-bump in lieu of shaking hands. Definitely much cooler than the elbow bump. Although perhaps “jazz hands” (waggling both hands to the sides) may be more effective for social distancing purposes…
Multiple governors responded to concerns about the ability of the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy to continue their work in light of various stay-at-home and shut-down orders.
- Our Maryland Governor, Larry Hogan, has issued a Proclamation designating “the legendary Easter Bunny as an essential worker – who is allowed to roam the state bringing Easter happiness and joy to Marylanders of all ages.”
- Governor Mills of Maine issued a directive “That friendly magical creatures, including but not limited to the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, may freely travel into and across the State of Maine to perform services essential to Maine children, while adhering to strict physical distancing requirements.” (!!! I also appreciate the “friendly” distinction – presumably, ghosts, vampires, and other “unfriendly” creatures are not so essential…)
- Less formally, Governor Beshear of Kentucky declared that his travel ban would not apply to the Easter Bunny, who is an essential worker. Governor Ivey of Alabama apparently has said the same, according to her press secretary.
- In press conferences, Governor Raimondo of Rhode Island and Governor Edwards of Louisiana assured children that the Easter Bunny was not quarantined.
- Governor Bullock of Montana announced that “magical entities” including the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny to be essential services. They are, however, required to adhere to social distancing guidelines while performing their services.
- Governor Whitmer of Michigan issued a PSA, reassuring the kids in her state that the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny are, in fact, essential workers.
- Governor Sununu of Maine tweeted that he deemed the Easter Bunny (and Tooth Fairy) to be essential workers.
- (I’m sure there are others… )
And – most controversially – the Florida Senate has adopted a resolution “declaring the Florida State University Seminoles basketball team, by virtue of tremendous skill on the court and the heart and spirit shown by the players and coaches this basketball season, the 2020 National College Athletic Association basketball champions by default upon cancellation of the NCAA tournament due to concerns raised by the spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19.” Huh. Well that screwed my (non-existent) bracket…
Stay safe. Be well. And keep smiling.